The Nebraska Journalism Trust is Nebraska’s first and only statewide, independent, nonprofit news organization. Our mission: To uncover truth, amplify diverse voices, and enrich life in Nebraska.
We are hiring a Program Director to shape and develop our Documenters program. NJT Documenters is part of the Documenters Network, a national network created by City Bureau in Chicago. NJT Documenters will operate in partnership with Civic Nebraska. Documenters work is focused on engaging residents in their local government by making public meetings more transparent and accessible, while increasing the capacity of local journalism.
The Program Director will report to the Executive Director. The position is based at the organization’s headquarters in downtown Omaha and requires some in-office work, with the potential for remote work. It also requires occasional travel within Nebraska including evenings or weekends. This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position.
- Design and build out the NJT Documenters Program
- Be the point person for partnership with Civic Nebraska
- Hire and manage staff statewide as you strategically partner with Nebraska communities to establish additional Documenters hubs
- Recruit and train Nebraskans to attend and take notes at public meetings across the state in additional hubs
- Edit notes and lead effort to process notes into other journalistic works.
- Build relationships with local media to raise awareness for the Documenters network and the content they create
- Produce newsletter content based on Documenters’ work
Salary Range: $50,000- $65,000/ year
The Nebraska Journalism Trust is committed to building an inclusive team that reflects the full diversity of communities throughout Nebraska. Members of traditionally underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities. The list below is meant to provide a general overview of qualifications that may be beneficial; people with nontraditional educational and career paths are also encouraged to apply:
- An understanding of the role of journalism in a democratic society, and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission: To uncover truth, amplify diverse voices, and enrich life in Nebraska
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Editing or journalism experience
- Teaching experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- College degree in Journalism, English, or other relevant field
About the Nebraska Journalism Trust
The Nebraska Journalism Trust is Nebraska’s first and only statewide, independent, nonprofit news organization. Its flagship publication, the Flatwater Free Press, produces a combination of investigative journalism and feature stories that hold leaders accountable, explore solutions, and share the best of Nebraska. Stories are freely available online at www.flatwaterfreepress.org, in a weekly e-mail newsletter, and through partnering news outlets across the state. The Nebraska Journalism Trust additionally publishes Silicon Prairie News, a digital publication focused on business and start-ups. Stories are freely available online at www.siliconprairienews.com, in a weekly e-mail newsletter, and through partnering news outlets across the state. Transparency is a core value; our financials, policies, board and staff bios, and donor list are here: www.nebraskajournalismtrust.org