The Nebraska Journalism Trust is Nebraska’s first and only statewide, independent, nonprofit news organization. Our mission: To uncover truth, amplify diverse voices, and enrich life in Nebraska.
We are hiring a Development Associate to support our fundraising efforts through the planning and implementation of subscriber and donor stewardship programs. The Development Associate will be an integral part of the development team, maintaining the organization’s CRM database and ensuring donor records are accurate and up to date. The Development Associate will establish and nurture effective, collegial working relationships with co-workers, community partners, donors, and external contacts while representing the Trust in a positive and professional manner. This role is an opportunity to help a young, fast-growing nonprofit develop the relationships and systems for long-term sustainability.
The Development Associate will report to the Director of Advancement and work closely with the Grant Writer & Development Consultant. The position is based at the organization’s headquarters in downtown Omaha and requires some in-office work, with the potential for remote work. It also requires occasional travel within Nebraska for events throughout the year, including in evenings or on weekends. This is a part-time, hourly, non-exempt position with scheduling flexibility.
Hours per week: 20
Salary Range: $20- $24/ hour
- Provide exceptional stewardship on behalf of Nebraska Journalism Trust to donors and subscribers
- Day-to-day management of the organization’s web-based CRM database, ensuring that all information is updated and available in real-time, including the management of automatically recurring gifts, event registrations, giving options, and donor recognition preferences
- Work closely with the Finance Director to ensure entered gifts are accurate and donors are thanked in a timely manner
- Respond to inquiries about supporting the organization
- Assist in cultivating individual donors through email, phone and video calls, and in-person conversations
- Assist with individual giving appeals in collaboration with consultants, vendors, and development team
- Work on special projects and other duties as assigned
The Nebraska Journalism Trust is committed to building an inclusive team that reflects the full diversity of communities throughout Nebraska. Members of traditionally underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities. The list below is meant to provide a general overview of qualifications; people with nontraditional educational and career paths are also encouraged to apply:
- An understanding of the role of journalism in a democratic society, and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission: To uncover truth, amplify diverse voices, and enrich life in Nebraska
- Two years of experience in customer service, nonprofit fundraising, marketing, or communications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Detail-oriented with attention to accuracy
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects
- Customer-service and solutions-focused mindset when working with colleagues, partners, subscribers and donors
- Discretion in handling sensitive and confidential information
- College degree in business, marketing, communications, or other relevant field
About the Nebraska Journalism Trust
The Nebraska Journalism Trust is Nebraska’s first and only statewide, independent, nonprofit news organization. Its flagship publication, the Flatwater Free Press, produces a combination of investigative journalism and feature stories that hold leaders accountable, explore solutions, and share the best of Nebraska. Stories are freely available online at www.flatwaterfreepress.org, in a weekly e-mail newsletter, and through partnering news outlets across the state. The Nebraska Journalism Trust is developing additional news publications and products. These include Silicon Prairie News, a digital publication focused on business and start-ups. Transparency is a core value; our financials, policies, board and staff bios, and donor list are here: www.nebraskajournalismtrust.org